When I was younger my favorite breakfast was cream cheese on toasted whole wheat bread; I think it still is. So, yes, quitting cheese was really hard for me. I don’t miss milk (I actually never liked regular milk), I can’t even think about eating meat (I never liked it that much either), but I could definitely keep on eating cheese (I loved cheese, I still do!). I just choose not to.
Finding something to fill that cheesy void was one of my main goals when I first started playing with vegan cooking. Because I do enjoy my morning toasts and I still need that creamy cheese on top. After a lot of testing (lots of similar recipes out there, I did not come up with this genius cashew option), this is my favorite, and SO SIMPLE, cashew cream cheese recipe. Cashews are what make this recipe creamy, simple and versatile. It has a mild cheese flavor and a DREAMY TEXTURE. It is also incredibly healthy. And guess what, I don’t miss regular cream cheese anymore, this tastes so much better!
The best part is, it comes together in just 5 minutes, all you need is a high-speed blender. And it will keep for about a week in the fridge.
This is my go-to cream cheese, it is easy to make, super YUMMY, and it goes with everything. I always have some on the fridge to add to risottos, tarts or spread on sourdough toast, my personal favorite.
So Simple Cashew Cream Cheese
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight*
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast, optional
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp chopped chives, optional
- Place all the ingredients -except the chives- in a high-speed blender and blend until creamy.
- Add the chopped chives to the cream cheese, if using, and stir to combine. Or just sprinkle on top.
- Store in the fridge and enjoy!