This is not just another pretty salad; it is the most perfect fall salad. Apples are in season and SO INCREDIBLY JUICY.
I love mixing fruit and veggies in a salad; the sweet, earthy beets and the tart, juicy apples work so well together.
This salad has everything, it’s filling, crunchy, fresh, juicy, rich, and it has just enough acidity and sweetness combined. It is also full of healthy plant-based protein and packs SO MUCH FLAVOR. A red wine vinaigrette ties everything together. The perfect combo.
And before all the salad haters out there complain, don’t worry, this lentil, beetroot and apple combo will not leave you hungry. In fact, this salad doesn´t even feel like a salad. No boring lettuce (sorry lettuce, you know I still secretly love you), no chewing your way through layers of undistinguished texture, no bland flavors. This is a comfort-food salad (is that a thing? I think I just made that up). Ok, it may not be as comforting as a warm bowl of curry; but I’m in love with this salad (even though I used to hate beetroots! And lentils!) and I think you will love it too.
It also travels well, unlike regular salad. I sometimes make it the night before and have it for lunch at work the next day. Just make sure you keep the pumpkin seeds aside and add them right before you eat it, this way, they won’t get soggy.
Lentil, Roasted Beetroot And Apple Salad
- 2 large beets, cut into 0.5 inches or 1-1.5 cm cubes - (a little under 2 cups)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp coconut nectar*
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Big pinch of Himalayan salt
- 1 cup cooked lentils - about ⅓ cup + 1 Tbsp of dry lentils**
- ⅓ cup cooked quinoa - about 2 Tbsp of uncooked quinoa***
- ½ cup small diced red onion****
- 1 medium red apple, cut into small cubes
- ⅓ cup basil leaves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds, toasted*****
- Himalayan salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
RED WINE VINAIGRETTE
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ Tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp coconut nectar*
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F / 180 °C.
- Place the chopped beets in a baking tray. Top the beets with the other ingredients and use your hands (or a big spoon) to mix everything up. The beets should be well coated.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, stir and roast for another 20 minutes. Until the beets are cooked: tender with beautiful brown edges.
- Let them cool down.
- Place all the vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until combined.
- Place all the salad ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the roasted beetroots and the red wine vinaigrette. Add salt and pepper to taste. Gently toss to combine.