We eat pasta at least once a week at our house. Can you blame us? Is there anything more perfect than a delicious plate of pasta?
If you are addicted to pasta, like us, and want to try something new, this zesty fennel and cherry tomato pasta might be just what you are looking for. It´s FRESH, CITRUSY, AROMATIC AND A LITTLE BIT LUXURIOUS thanks to the addition of white wine (I just love cooking with wine. And drinking wine while cooking. And drinking wine after cooking too. Well, you get the picture). This recipe is perfect for the weekend, I always make it on a Friday night; like a little decadent treat to celebrate the end of the week.
Have you tried fennel before? I tried fennel for the first time five or six years ago and immediately fell in love with it. So, why isn’t this amazing plant more popular? It’s packed with a delicate, almost sweet anise flavor and tastes so different from all the other veggies. Fennel also provides some incredible health benefits. It has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antiviral, anti-tumor and antispasmodic properties -you can check out this link if you want to know more-. Better yet, it’s ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS; especially when sautéed, as it gets tender and a little bit sweeter. That’s why it pairs amazingly well with citrus fruits, juicy tomatoes and tangy capers. Add a little white wine and your choice of pasta and… YUM!
This pasta is also really easy to make and if you like leftovers, it keeps in the fridge for a couple of days (I’ve even had it cold the day after and it still tastes great!). You can choose your favorite kind of pasta. I used red lentil pasta (which I absolutely love), but whole wheat, spelt, farro and chickpea pasta are also delicious in this recipe.
Zesty Fennel and Cherry Tomato Pasta
- 2 servings red lentil pasta or pasta of choice - (6 ounces – 170 grams)*
- 1 ½ Tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 1 medium fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup white wine, plus more to sip while you cook 😉
- ⅔ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 Tbsp capers
- 1 tsp lemon zest, finely grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegan parmesan, not optional if you ask me**
- Few fennel fronds
- Drizzle of olive oil, optional
- Cook the pasta according to instructions. When done, drain and set aside until needed.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add garlic, chili flakes and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add sliced fennel and a good pinch of salt. Lower the heat and sauté for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent it from burning.
- Stir in the white wine and cook, covered with the lid ajar, for another 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add cherry tomatoes and capers and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add pasta and stir for another 1 minute, until the pasta is warm.
- Turn off the heat and add lemon zest, salt and pepper to taste. Mix everything until combined.
- Serve immediately and top with vegan parmesan, fennel fronds and an extra drizzle of olive oil.
- Pour yourself a glass of white wine and enjoy!