This is my new favorite thing to spread on top of a nice slice of bread. If you like Mediterranean flavors, you are definitely in the right place. Keep reading, you won’t be disappointed.
I don’t know about you, but anything with the word toast or sandwich sounds pretty good to me; add a mix of Mediterranean foods and you’ve got my full undivided attention. Does it get any better than a freshly baked slice of bread with chickpeas, olives, tomatoes and cucumbers on top?!
Such a delicious, satisfying, fresh and nourishing meal. It’s also protein and fiber-rich. And it can be your breakfast, lunch or dinner. So yes, there are no downsides to this heavenly recipe. Did I say this salad is also great for meal prepping?! Go ahead, make extra and take it to work the next day.
This gorgeous chickpea mash salad takes less than 15 minutes to make and packs so much goodness. Nobody will ever guess it’s a healthy, plant-based meal.
If you make this super tasty sandwich, let us know what you think. Tag us on Instagram @mondaydreamsblog or leave a comment below, we love hearing from you!
Mediterranean Inspired Mashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 1 ½ cup cooked chickpeas – or a 15 oz can, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion*
- ½ cup finely chopped black olives
- ½ cup finely chopped cucumber
- ⅓ cup parsley, finely chopped**
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp tahini***
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil optional****
- 1 tsp coconut nectar – or maple syrup, not Mediterranean, but it adds a touch of sweetness
- ¼ tsp of sea salt
- ¼ tsp of garlic powder
- ¼ tsp of chili flakes
- Pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp of sunflower seeds, optional – not Mediterranean, but I love the taste and crunch
- 4 medium slices of rye, whole-wheat sourdough or GF bread (I’m a rye fan!)
- Mash the chickpeas with the back of a fork, you can leave a few whole chickpeas for texture.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Make a sandwich and enjoy this yummy and healthy meal!