Carob is one of my favorite foods. And though a lot of people use it as a chocolate substitute, let me tell you something, it does not taste like chocolate. Thank god, we already have a superfood that tastes exactly like chocolate: chocolate. And it is already perfect. So if you first tried carob as a chocolate substitute, chances are your carob relationship started off on the wrong foot. To me, carob tastes a little bit like toasted caramel. SO GOOD.
Not familiar with carob? Oh, you should definitely try it, you won’t regret it. It is a great addition to a lot of recipes; think sweet sauces, nice creams, smoothies, cakes and cookies. It really is one of my favorite ingredients and I use it a lot. It also has some great nutritional benefits, you can read more about this here.
Carob takes simple (yet super tasty) blueberries to another level. And almond butter, well, almond butter just makes everything better; but you probably already know that. I also added some hemp seeds for protein and a little maca powder to boost up the nutrient content and taste.
This is a powerful little smoothie bowl. Need I say I’m obsessed with it?! Lately, I’ve been having this bowl at least twice a week. Tastes like blueberry-caramel heaven. Just DELICIOUS.
If you try this recipe, let us know what you think. Tag us on Instagram @mondaydreamsblog or leave a comment below, we love hearing from you!
Blueberry-Carob Smoothie Bowl
- 1 medium frozen banana, chopped*
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tbsp carob powder
- 1 Tbsp hemp seeds
- ½ Tbsp almond butter
- ½ Tbsp coconut nectar**
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp maca powder, optional (but good for you)
- Our Orange tahini and cashew granola (my all-time favorite!)
- Nuts and seeds
- More almond butter
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor or highspeed blender.
- Blend on high until smooth and creamy. You may need to stop a few times and scrape down the sides.
- Add your favorite toppings and enjoy this dreamy, nourishing bowl!