This is by far my favorite Bean Burger recipe. And I’ve tried a lot of vegan burgers in the past few years. Seriously, a lot! I LOVE LOVE LOVE veggie burgers; they are one of my go-to weekend treats.
I’ve spent the last few months searching for the perfect bean burger, trying different veggies, spices and herbs, making little tweaks here and there. Finally, I got it just right. After a lot of testing, I’m proud to present the most AMAZING BEAN BURGER. And it’s AWESOME.
This is not a quick recipe, but these burgers are so worth the effort. I know a lot of people are disappointed when they come across a long list of ingredients, but that’s actually not a bad thing. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. Plant diversity is so good for your gut microbiome! Increasing the variety of plant-based foods is one of the best things you can do for your digestion. And your health! Also, these burgers might have more than 10 ingredients, but most of them are spices or sauces, and they are REALLY EASY to make.
Best of all, they are so tasty. These bean burgers are CRISPY on the outside, TENDER, MOIST and DELICIOUS on the inside. And they are packed with nourishing foods! Think beans, rice, nuts, veggies, herbs and spices. Such a wonderful wholesome combo. They are high in plant-based protein, high in fiber and so hearty and flavorful.
Hope you give these a try! I promise they’ll make your Friday night a thousand times better.
AMAZING BEAN BURGERS
- ¼ cup brown rice
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for greasing the baking sheet - sub water if you are on an oil-free diet
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium red onion roughly chopped
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ cup oats, GF if necessary
- ½ cup breadcrumbs, GF if necessary – I used wholewheat sourdough breadcrumbs
- 1 15 oz can of kidney or black beans, rinsed, drained and patted dry – or 1 ½ cup cooked beans
- ¼ cup aquafaba, the liquid in a can of chickpeas – or 1 flax egg*
- 2 Tbsp coconut aminos
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp dry thyme
- ½ tsp dry oregano
- Vegan buns
- Caramelized onions
- Mustard, ketchup or vegan mayo
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F / 180 °C.
- Cook the rice according to instructions. Drain and allow to cool down.
- While the rice is cooking, place the walnuts in a baking sheet (no oil) and bake in the oven for 10 minutes, until golden and fragrant. Allow to cool down.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil (or water if you are not using oil) in a medium pan and sauté onions and garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add grated carrots. Sauté for another 3 minutes. Add chili flakes, paprika and ground coriander and keep stirring for another minute. Turn off the heat and allow to cool down.
- Transfer toasted walnuts to a food processor. Add oats and blend into coarse flour.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor, including the cooked rice and the sauteed vegs. Blend until well combined, you might need to stop a few times to scrape down the sides. But be careful not to overmix, we want to have some texture.
- Divide the mixture into 5-6 balls and form the patties using your hands. Wet your hands if it gets too sticky.
- Grease a baking sheet with a little olive oil. Place the burgers on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, flip them, and bake for another 15 – 20 minutes, until they are nice and golden.
- Assemble the burger and enjoy!