These Crispy Falafel Burgers are super quick and SO FLAVORFUL!
I love bean burgers, they are one of my favorite weekend treats. They are hearty and delicious, and they feel like you are indulging yourself, though they can actually be good for you! I also love falafels, but falafels are quite unhealthy (if they’re fried) and making them can take a while (you have to remember to soak the chickpeas the day before, so bye-bye spontaneity).
Well, these falafel burgers are the best of both worlds! They are simple, take less than 10 minutes to prepare (plus baking time) and they have a BEAUTIFUL DEPTH OF FLAVOR, thanks to a mix of fresh herbs and spices. No soaking, no frying (in fact, these burgers are oil-free), no nasty ingredients, no complicated methods. Just a wholesome, yummy burger, that’s packed with fiber, plant-based protein and all the good stuff. Wohoooooo!
Best of all, they taste heavenly. They are CRISPY on the outside (thanks, aquafaba, for that gorgeous crunch, you are truly magical) and TENDER and DELICIOUS on the inside. They also hold their shape quite well (thanks again, aquafaba, you are even better than a flax egg). So what’s aquafaba, you might ask?! It’s the liquid inside a can of chickpeas, and it’s awesome, so please don’t throw it away! Wondering what else can you make with this salty brine?! Try my Amazing Bean Burgers or my Vegan Aquafaba Garlic Mayo (so quick and so good, you won’t buy regular mayo again!)
I love to serve these falafel burgers with hummus and a Chunky Tahini Sauce that’s fresh, tasty, and the perfect companion for this lightly spiced burger. Try not to skip this tasty sauce, it’s easy to make and it will make your burger a thousand times better!
If you try these Crispy Falafel Burgers, let us know what you think, leave a comment or tag us on Instagram @mondaydreamsblog. We love hearing from you!
Crispy Falafel Burgers with Chunky Tahini Sauce
- 1 big garlic clove
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion*
- ¼ cup parsley, tightly packed
- ¼ cup cilantro, tightly packed - if you don´t like cilantro, add more parsley
- 1 15 oz can of chickpeas - drained and rinsed but don't throw away the brine!
- 3 Tbsp aquafaba - the brine from the can of chickpeas**
- ¼ cup chickpea flour
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs - I used whole-wheat sourdough
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp coriander
- ¼ tsp cardamom
CHUNKY TAHINI SAUCE:
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup finely chopped cucumber
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion*
- 1 Tbsp runny tahini
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 vegan buns
- 6 Tbsp hummus
- Mizuna, arugula or spinach
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F / 180 °C.
- Add garlic, onion and fresh herbs to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor, blend until well combined, you might need to stop a few times to scrape down the sides. But be careful not to overmix, we want to have some texture.
- Divide the mixture into 3 balls and form the patties using your hands. Wet your hands if it gets too sticky.
- Grease a baking sheet with a little olive oil (optional, they won’t stick to the pan if you skip the oil). Place the falafel burgers on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, flip them, and bake for another 15 – 20 minutes, until they are nice and golden.
- While the burgers bake, make the chunky tahini sauce. Mix ingredients in a medium bowl until combined. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- To assemble the burger: add two tablespoons of hummus to each bun (the bottom half only). Top with greens, I love mizuna. Next, add the falafel burger and divide the chunky tahini sauce between the three burgers. Add the top bun and enjoy!