This Veggie-Packed Lentil Stew is cozy, hearty and so flavorful!
Where I live, lentil stew is one of the most popular comfort foods during the winter, of course, it’s made with bacon, sausages or some type of meat. Well, this is the yummy vegan version, and it tastes just as good. No, it does not taste like meat, that was never my intention, but all the different vegetables and spices give this plant-based stew a beautiful depth of flavor. It’s delicious, easy and super nourishing.
We all know vegetables are good for you, but did you know lentils are also a nutritional powerhouse?! High in plant-based protein, high in fiber, high in minerals and polyphenols. Lentils are good your heart, your digestive system, your blood sugar levels, your weight and your immune system. Want to know more? Check out this link.
This soup is as healthy as it is delicious! Easy, fuss-free and, yes, cheap; made with simple, wholesome ingredients and loaded with plants, legumes, and SO MUCH FLAVOR. The perfect balanced meal. It’s warm, filling and comforting, like a hug in a bowl. A really delicious hug!
Feel like getting cozy with a beautiful bowl of soup?! Then you’ll love this simple stew. If you try it, let us know what you think. Tag us on Instagram @mondaydreamsblog or leave a comment below. We love hearing from you!
Veggie-Packed Lentil Stew
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 big garlic cloves, minced
- 1 leek, chopped
- ¼ tsp chili flakes
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 3 small carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 small potatoes, chopped
- 1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups vegetable broth - can sub water
- 1 cup lentils, soaked overnight or for at least 8 hours - drained and rinsed*
- 1 - 1½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup frozen peas, thawed
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add garlic and leek and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add spices, carrots and potatoes and sauté for another minute.
- Add tomatoes, bay leaf, broth, lentils and sea salt. Bring to a boil and lower the heat. Simmer for 15- 20 minutes, until the lentils and vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaf, add peas and cook for another 2 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with freshly ground pepper.
- Enjoy this warming stew!