A twist on the traditional German cucumber salad or Gurkensalat. Refreshing and so tasty! If you like pickled cucumbers, then you are going to love this salad.
The German Cucumber Salad is made with cucumbers, red onion, dill and either a tangy vinegar-sugar dressing or a creamy sour cream dressing. I love dill pickles so I went for the vinegar-sugar dressing. And I added quinoa, it’s protein-rich, it’s full of health benefits and it’s delicious with fresh cucumbers. I think quinoa adds a really nice texture and balances out the sharpness of the vinaigrette.
This healthy salad is easy, filling and so flavorful. It’s naturally vegan and loaded with nutrients. It also travels well, unlike regular salad. I think it tastes even better the next day. So, I like to make it ahead of time.
If you try this delicious healthy salad let us know what you think. Tag us on Instagram @mondaydreamsblog or leave a comment below. We love hearing from you!
Cucumber Dill Salad with Quinoa
- ⅔ cups uncooked quinoa
- 2 medium cucumbers, halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced*
- ½ cup dill, tightly packed
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
RED WINE VINAIGRETTE:
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar – or your choice of sugar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Toasted almonds, optional
- To cook the quinoa, rinse well and place it in a medium pot with lots of water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes, until tender. Drain and let cool completely.
- While the quinoa is cooking place cucumber slices in a big bowl and sprinkle with 1 tsp of sea salt. Stir and set aside for 20 - 30 minutes. Then rinse and drain well. Thoroughly pat dry (I use paper towels) to remove any excess liquid.
- Add red wine vinegar and sugar to a big bowl. Whisk vigorously until the sugar dissolves. Add olive oil, chili flakes and garlic. Whisk to combine.
- Add cooked quinoa, cucumber, red onion and dill.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss to combine. I recommend placing it in the fridge for at least 30 - 60 minutes before eating it. And serving it with toasted almonds on top.
- Enjoy this refreshing salad.
- You can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 – 3 days. I like it even better the next day.