Healthy, easy and oh-so-tasty Roasted Eggplant and Tomato Soup. The perfect summer soup. If you are like me, and love having soup all year round, this plant-based soup recipe is for you. Right now, tomatoes and eggplants are in season and are bursting with flavor. So I’m celebrating these two amazing vegetables by making a simple, delicious soup.
I love this combo so much, I believe eggplants and tomatoes are meant to be together. They are amazing on their own, but their flavors truly shine when we combine them. To make this soup even more scrumptious I added tahini, fresh basil and sumac. The result is fresh, a little tart and so creamy and lush. Tahini is also an amazing source of healthy fats and plant-based protein. It’s smooth, rich and truly delicious. And it pairs incredibly well with eggplants.
Do you like your soup with toppings?! I think creamy soups need a bit of texture sometimes. So, I made sumac-roasted chickpeas and they turned out golden, crispy and super flavorful. Roasted chickpeas also add a bit more protein and a nice crunch.
This soup is super easy to make, you just bake the veggies in one tray and the chickpeas in another tray. Then you blend the vegetables with hot water, tahini, basil and spices. You serve it warm and top it with a little coconut yogurt and crispy chickpeas and your healthy dinner is ready. It’s light, nourishing and filling at the same time. Hope you love it as much as I do!
This eggplant and tomato soup is vegan, dairy-free, nut-free and gluten-free.
If you try this healthy vegetable soup, let us know what you think. Tag us on Instagram @mondaydreamsblog or leave a comment below. We love hearing from you!
Roasted Eggplant and Tomato Soup
- 2 pounds or 900 grams of tomatoes - I used a combination of heirloom, plum and cherry tomatoes
- 2 small/medium eggplants - about 4 cups cubed
- 1 big red onion
- 1 small garlic head
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup tahini
- 6 big basil leaves
- 4 dates – I used Deglet Noor*
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp sumac
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 – 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 15 oz. can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed - or 1 ½ cups of cooked chickpeas
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sumac
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Drizzle of unsweetened coconut yogurt or tahini
- Sumac roasted chickpeas
- Fresh basil
- Sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F / 200 °C.
- Halve or quarter the tomatoes, depending on their size (if using cherry tomatoes leave them whole). Cut the eggplants into ½ - ¾ inch (1,5 – 2 cm) cubes. Peel and cut the onion into quarters. Break the garlic head into cloves, don’t peel them.
- Place chopped tomatoes, eggplants, onion and garlic cloves on a baking tray. Add the olive oil and use your hands (or a big spoon) to mix everything up. Make sure all the veggies are well coated.
- Roast for 40 – 50 minutes (I like to stir the eggplant halfway through), until the vegetables are cooked: tender and golden.
- Remove from the oven, peel the garlic cloves, and use a big spatula or spoon to scrape everything from the tray into a large high-speed blender. If your blender is not big enough, you might have to work in batches and then mix it all up in a big bowl or pot.
- Add tahini, lemon juice, basil, dates, sumac, coriander, sea salt and hot water (if you are not going to eat it right away, you can use cold or room-temperature water). Blend until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasonings. If you prefer a thinner consistency, add a little more water.
SUMAC - ROASTED CHICKPEAS:
- You can roast the chickpeas on a different baking tray at the same time you roast your veggies.
- Place the chickpeas on a baking tray, add olive oil, sumac, coriander, garlic powder and sea salt. Use your hands (or a big spoon) to mix everything up.
- Roast, shaking the pan every 15 minutes, for 25 - 35 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve the soup while it’s still warm with a drizzle of coconut yogurt or tahini, roasted chickpeas, fresh basil and sesame seeds.
- You can store it in the fridge for 5 days or in the freezer for 1 or 2 months.