I love summer fruit and summer recipes. When plums are in season, this wholesome cake is the perfect dessert.
Whole-grain, refined sugar-free and so soft and fluffy. This might be one of the best cakes I’ve ever made. I don’t share a lot of baked goods, so when I share something, I make sure it’s perfect. And this plum cake recipe is an absolute dream.
It’s lightly spiced and a little nutty, with tart, juicy plums on top (there are pureed plums on the inside too); it’s the most perfect blend of flavors. The texture is light, moist and incredibly tender, even though it’s made with whole wheat flour, sweetened with coconut nectar and is completely vegan.
This cake is also beautiful, it’s something you can bake to impress your friends. They don’t have to be vegan or healthy eaters to enjoy this cake. I shared it with non-vegans and junk food lovers and everyone really loved it.
Want to give this healthy vegan cake a try? If you do, let us know what you think. Tag us on Instagram @mondaydreamsblog or leave a comment below, we love hearing from you!
Vegan Plum Cake
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 2 cups finely chopped plums
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup apple sauce
- ½ cup coconut nectar or maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 – 5 medium plums, thinly sliced
- Coconut oil
- Grease a 9” (23 cm) springform cake pan with a little coconut oil. Set aside.
- Add chopped plums and coconut oil to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for 8 minutes. Let cool (this might take a while, but don’t place it in the fridge to speed up the process or the coconut oil will solidify).
- In the meantime, toast the walnuts.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F / 175 °C.
- Place walnuts on a baking sheet and bake for 8 – 10 minutes. Until golden and fragrant.
- Place the walnuts in a food processor (or blender) and blend into a coarse flour consistency, some tiny walnut pieces are ok.
- Combine whole wheat flour, ground walnuts, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and cardamom in a big bowl.
- Once the plum-coconut oil mixture is at room temperature, mash the plums with a fork. Then add apple sauce, coconut nectar or maple syrup and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and gently stir to combine.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking pan. Arrange the plum slices over the batter in large circles, gently pressing them into the batter. Brush the slices with a bit of coconut oil. Bake for 45 minutes or until you stick a knife and it comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool down completely before slicing.
- Enjoy this wholesome treat!