This toast is pure heaven. I always love a pear, cheese and walnut combo. It’s sweet, it’s savory, it’s nutty, it’s perfection. Pears are amazing in savory dishes. You can add them to salads, sandwiches, quiches and risotto. And, of course, to your morning toasts.
For this toast I used my Cashew Cream Cheese, if you haven’t made it yet, it’s truly awesome and you can find the recipe here. This cream cheese is my favorite thing to have on top of crusty sourdough bread (sorry, avocado), I always have a jar in the fridge. It takes 5 minutes to make, it’s super healthy and the most delicious vegan cream cheese I’ve ever had. But if you are not vegan or if you are not in the mood for making cream cheese, you can use your favorite store-bought version. Just make sure it has a mild taste.
Back to this amazing toast recipe. It’s easy to make and incredibly tasty. And it can be a beautiful fall breakfast, a wholesome snack or a light lunch.
First, choose a good quality sourdough bread. Then spread it with cream cheese and arrange the pear slices on top. And bake it for 15 minutes. The pear will get sweet, golden and juicy. To make this toast even better I added roasted walnuts and a delicious balsamic drizzle. And last but not least, a little bit of fresh thyme, it’s sharp, earthy, minty and adds a nice contrast.
This plant-based breakfast recipe is super simple but it has layers of flavors and tastes like a fancy gourmet meal. Better yet, it’s full of good stuff. It’s high in fiber, healthy fats and has a decent amount of vegan protein (from the whole-wheat sourdough bread, the cashew cream cheese and the walnuts).
Enjoyed this pear toast? Then you are going to love my Pear and Butternut Squash Sandwich.
If you make this vegan pear toast, let us know what you think. Tag us on Instagram @mondaydreamsblog or leave a comment below, we love hearing from you!
Pear Toast with Walnuts and Balsamic Drizzle
- 2 slices of whole-wheat sourdough or GF bread
- 3 Tbsp cashew cream cheese – or you can use your favorite vegan cream cheese*
- 1 medium pear, thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp walnuts
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp coconut nectar or maple syrup
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme, leaves only
- Preheat the oven to 375 F / 190 C.
- Spread cashew cream cheese across both slices of bread.
- Arrange pear slices on top and brush with a little olive oil. Transfer the slices of bread to a baking sheet.
- Add walnuts to that same baking sheet, place it in the oven and bake for 8 – 10 minutes, until the walnuts are golden and fragrant.
- Remove the walnuts and place the toasts back in the oven for another 5 – 8 minutes, or until the pear is cooked with slightly golden edges.
- While the toasts are still in the oven, chop the walnuts and make the balsamic drizzle.
- In a small bowl combine balsamic vinegar and coconut nectar or maple syrup.
- Remove the toasts from the oven and top with chopped walnuts, balsamic drizzle and fresh thyme leaves.