Just like summer in a jar!
This truly delicious breakfast is simple to make and so perfect for your busy summer mornings. It’s got all the goodness of coconut milk, oats and chia seeds (hello, omega 3) to help you start the day with lots of energy and a smile on your face. Because, yes, delicious food makes me happy and can totally change my mood. Am I the only one?
This is such a refreshing and fruity treat; we are in the middle of winter here and I’m still addicted to this tasty breakfast. The combination of flavors is AMAZING! Nothing fancy, actually; just real, simple, everyday ingredients, but when combined: WOW. Is it obvious that this is my favorite recipe for overnight oats? The yummy taste of berries, the slight hint of oranges, the natural sweetness of coconut milk and the soaked, juicy raisins; all work together so well. A dream when layered with banana, almond butter and coconut nectar; a lovely Monday Dream!
This classic breakfast is also gluten-free, vegan and very filling.
Orange is one of my all-time favorite flavors, have you noticed? I cook a lot with oranges, I’m obsessed with their sweet-tart taste. Plus, you can use them for either sweet or savory dishes; and you don’t even have to use the flesh or the juice of the orange (save that for another recipe), just use some zest and boom: orange deliciousness.
I like to keep frozen fruit in my freezer. I’ve always got bananas (the sweet creamy base for every delicious smoothie bowl or soft serve), blueberries and blackberries (so tasty and loaded with antioxidant superpowers!). When in season, I also stock my freezer with strawberries and peaches. So, whenever I crave something delicious like this Summertime Overnight Oats, frozen fruit comes to the rescue! Not in the mood for oats? Craving something else? Muffins, ice creams, smoothies or jam; frozen fruit is your answer! Well, enough of my freezing addiction, let’s get cooking (wait… is it still cooking when it’s that easy?).
Summertime Overnight Oats
- ½ cup rolled oats - use GF, if necessary
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 Tbsp golden raisins (sultanas)
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup homemade coconut milk or store-bought light coconut milk*
- ¾ cup blueberries - I used frozen
- ¾ cup blackberries - I used frozen
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 banana, sliced
- 2 Tbsp almond or hazelnut butter
- 2 tsp coconut nectar**
- Combine all the oat ingredients in a small/medium bowl. Give the mixture a good stir and let it sit overnight, or for at least 2 hours.
- BERRY COMPOTE:
- Add a splash of water, frozen blueberries, blackberries and coconut sugar to a small pan. Cook over medium heat for about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Mash the berries with a wooden spoon or a fork, they should fall apart quite easily. If not, cook them for a few more minutes.
- Let the compote cool at room temperature.
- TO SERVE:
- You can do this the night before, so when you wake up the next morning your breakfast is good to go. Or you can throw everything together that same morning. Your call.
- Divide the berry compote into 2 glass jars.
- Now add ½ a banana, sliced, to each jar.
- Drizzle each serving with a Tbsp of almond butter and a tsp of coconut nectar (or adjust amounts to your liking).
- Top that with the oat-chia combo. This way, your banana will stay fresh for a couple of days.