MOIST, RICH and SO INCREDIBLY TENDER. This pear loaf is the best companion to a hot cup of tea. Little bits of juicy pear, warming spices, a slight hint of walnuts and a beautiful soft texture, what’s not to love?
This cake is pretty too, something you can bake to impress your friends. Made with vegan, wholesome ingredients, though nobody will ever guess that. Not too sweet, not overwhelmingly spicy; just the MOST PERFECT BLEND OF FLAVORS. It´s pretty easy to make too, great on-the-go breakfast or snack, and freezer friendly. Did I also mention it is absolutely delicious?
If you are out of pears, you can use apples instead. And if you are gluten-free, feel free to use your favorite GF flour blend instead.
Wholesome Spiced Pear Loaf
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour*
- ½ cup oats, GF if preferred
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp ground flax
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp coconut nectar**
- 3 small/medium pears
- Preheat the oven at 350 °F / 180 °C.
- Grease a bread/loaf pan with a little coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl, mix the almond milk with the ground flax. Set aside while you prep the rest.
- Place walnuts in a food processor (or blender) and process into a coarse flour, some tiny walnut pieces are ok.
- Mix all dry ingredients, including the walnuts, in a large bowl.
- Add apple cider vinegar, melted coconut oil and coconut nectar to the wet ingredients. Stir well to combine.
- Grate 2 pears. Cut the third pear in half; chop one half into small, bite-sized pieces; and thinly slice the remaining half to use as garnish on top of the cake.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and carefully stir everything together. Add the grated pears and the small chopped pieces. Stir gently until combined.
- Spoon the batter into a pan and garnish with the remaining pear slices. Bake for about 45 minutes or until you stick a knife and it comes out clean. If it doesn’t, bake for a couple of more minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool before slicing.
- Enjoy this delightful treat!