This black bean bowl is satisfying, delicious and, the best part is, it comes together in a few minutes. No fancy ingredients, no complicated methods, just simple, real food. Plus, you probably already have everything you need for this yummy dish in your kitchen.
Are you having a crazy day but still want a homecooked meal? Or maybe you are feeling a little bit lazy but still want to eat something healthy and bursting with flavor. Either way, this black bean bowl is for you. It is perfect for when you need something WARM AND FILLING in your stomach fast. It is protein-rich, high in fiber, colorful and SO COMFY. And it is pretty cheap too! So many benefits you will be making this recipe over and over again (or maybe that is just me). Still, it is super tasty and you should give it a go!
I like to serve it with brown rice and avocado, but it is also great inside a tortilla or on rye toast (like a Mexican bruschetta, is that a thing? Nope? Maybe we should make it a thing. So yum!). Whatever you are in the mood for.
Super Quick, Super Simple, Black Bean Bowl
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup small chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes - OR 1 big tomato chopped (about 1 ¾ cup), + ½ cup of tomato puree* + ½ tsp of coconut sugar
- 1 14 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed - OR 1 ½ cup of cooked black beans
- ¼ cup corn
- 2 tsp lime/lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup uncooked brown rice*
- ½ Hass Avocado
- Cilantro leaves
- Lemon/lime juice
- Cook the rice according to instructions.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté for about 2 minutes, then add the garlic and red bell pepper and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the spices and cook for about a minute, until fragrant; always stirring to keep them from burning.
- Add tomatoes and black beans. Mix everything up, and let the whole thing cook for about 5 minutes, so the flavors can develop.
- Turn off the stove; add the corn, lemon/lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Give it a good stir and serve while it’s hot.
- Make yourself a delicious bowl of black beans and brown rice. Top with creamy avo chunks, chopped cilantro leaves and a good squeeze of lemon/lime juice.