Move over avocado toast! Yes, you are delicious, and pretty, and so good for the body; but sometimes, just sometimes, we need a little something extra, we crave something new and wake up feeling like ignoring you and all the other trendy breakfasts out there. Sometimes all we need is this eggy chickpea-avo toast; because, yes, we want to break the rules, but most of all, because it tastes AMAZING.
The secret to this recipe is black salt, also called Kala Namak. I’m so in love with this powerful little ingredient, it literally tastes -and smells- like a hard-boiled egg. Not an egg fan? Don’t worry, I was never an egg fan either. So, why am I in love with a salt that tastes like eggs? Because it tastes different from any other vegan flavors (and playing around with flavors is so much fun!) and it really adds a delicious savory kick to a lot of recipes. Mix it up with veggies, spices and textures and you will end up with something truly delicious and unique.
I always thought that the chickpea-avo combo had a similar texture/feel as hard-boiled eggs. Adding black salt to the mix just seemed like the perfect fit. And it is, the result is SO YUM and SO GOOD FOR YOU.
This recipe is one of my go-to breakfasts, something I put together when I’m in a hurry and out of cashew cream cheese or hummus. Although it could also be a great lunch or dinner. It’s got protein, fiber and healthy fats; plus, it only takes 5 minutes to make. So much deliciousness in just so little time.
Unbelievably Good Eggy Chickpea-Avo Toast
- 2 medium slices of rye, whole-wheat sourdough or GF toast (I’m a rye fan!)
- ½ a medium Hass Avocado
- ⅓ cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ - ⅛ tsp Kala Namak, depends on how much eggy taste you want, I use ¼
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chili flakes
- Sesame seeds
- Homemade cucumber pickles
- Cherry tomatoes
- A drizzle of olive oil
- Toast the bread.
- Mash the avocado with a fork. Now mash the chickpeas, leave only a few ones whole for texture.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Spoon the mixture over the toasted bread.
- Top with sesame seeds, chili flakes or, my favorite, homemade cucumber pickles.