Pecans + chocolate? Does it get any better than this?
I LOVE chocolate (well, who doesn’t?), but I’ve never been a big fan of brownies. Until now. These brownies are dreamy! So rich, nutty and chocolatey. And incredibly healthy! Yes, you read that right, HEALTHY.
They should be called fudgy, decadent food processor brownies. Or fudgy, decadent black bean brownies. But then I thought writing ‘brownie’ right next to ‘black bean’ or ‘food processor’ didn’t sound very appealing. And that would be such a huge misconception! These brownies are BETTER THAN THE REAL THING; and nobody, trust me, nobody will ever know this heavenly treat is made with black beans. So besides nutritious, these are also plant-protein rich.
No flours, no refined sugars or grains, no butter, no eggs. Just wholesome ingredients that taste like a luxurious dessert. Try topping them with vegan vanilla ice-cream and caramel sauce; INSANELY DELICIOUS.
Feel like giving these a try? Got a food processor and ten minutes to spare? Then you definitely should! But I warn you, it’s really hard eating just one (or maybe that is just my experience).
Fudgy Decadent Pecan Brownies
- ⅓ cup of pecans
- ½ cup soft dates – about 80 - 85 grams or 3 ounces
- ¼ cup coconut nectar*
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup of coconut oil melted – plus a little more for greasing the pan
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup + 1 Tbsp of cacao powder
- 1 Tbsp tapioca starch
- ½ tsp of baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ½ cup of cooked black beans – or a 15 oz can
- Preheat the oven at 350 °F / 180 °C.
- Toast the pecans in the oven for about 7 minutes. Just be careful, pecans burn easily, and we want them lightly toasted.
- In the meantime, grease a 20x20 cm / 8x8” pan with a little coconut oil.
- Place the toasted pecans in a food processor and process into a coarse flour.
- Add dates, coconut nectar (or maple syrup), almond milk, coconut oil and vanilla and pulse to combine.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor and process until a thick, smooth, chocolatey mixture forms. It might take a couple of minutes and you might need to stop a few times to scrape down the sides.
- Transfer the batter to the pan and bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool before eating. They will finish setting as they cool down.
- Enjoy this (secretly healthy) delicious treat with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream!